The web pages are our SEN report and contain the information required under Regulation 3
SEN offer – Nower Hill High School
These pages describe our school's offer for students with SEN. SEN stands for Special Educational Needs.
Every student brings a unique pattern of strengths and areas of need to our community and the school aims to fulfil the potential of all students. The links here relate to those students who have difficulties that affect their learning and are recognised as needing specific types of support. Follow the links to find out more about how Nower Hill High School works to support young people with a range of additional needs.
- We endeavour to achieve maximum inclusion of all students (including vulnerable learners) whilst meeting their individual needs.
- Teachers provide differentiated learning opportunities for all the students within the school and provide materials appropriate to students’ interests and abilities. This ensures that all students have a full access to the school curriculum.
- Special Educational Need might be an explanation for delayed or slower progress but is not an excuse, and we make every effort to narrow the gap in attainment between vulnerable groups of learners and others.
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) is not considered a Special Education Need. Differentiated work and individual learning opportunities are provided for students who are learning EAL as part of our provision for vulnerable learners.
- We focus on individual progress as the main indicator of success.
- We strive to make a clear distinction between underachievement – often caused by a poor early experience of learning - and special educational needs.
- Some students in our school may be underachieving but will not necessarily have a Special Educational Need. It is our responsibility to spot this quickly and ensure that appropriate interventions are put in place to help these students catch up.
- Other students will genuinely have Special Educational Needs and this may lead to lower-attainment (though not necessarily to under-achievement). It is our responsibility to ensure that students with Special Educational Needs have the maximum opportunity to attain and achieve in line with their peers.
- We will follow direction from the new Code of Practice (2015) which places whole class teaching, high quality experiences as the most inclusive and first avenue of striving to meet needs of all learners (SEND or not) at Nower Hill.
- Nower Hill embraces the idea that individual students will have a direct say in their own desired outcomes. To this end specific targets to meet those outcomes will be negotiated and involve student, school and families.
Resources upon return to school (March 2021)