Homework is an essential part of a student’s education at Nower Hill. Regular homework is set because it gives students the opportunity to practice at home the tasks covered in class and helps the students work towards improving important skills. It also helps our students to become confident and independent in their learning, which will help throughout their time at school and beyond. Evidence has shown that students completing homework to a high standard improves outcomes.
Students are informed of the homework being set in their lessons by their class teacher and are asked to record the details in their homework diary. Details of the homework are also published on Fronter our Managed Learning Environment, along with other useful information including how the work will be marked and links to helpful resources and websites. Parents of students in years 7 and 8, can access the homework on Fronter, using the log in nhhsparent7 or nhhsparent8 (the passwords are the same as the log in). Parents of students in other year groups can gain access to this information by asking the student to share their log on details.
Homework is set according to the rotas linked below in years 7 and 8. In years 9 to 13, homework is set weekly in every subject. The amount of time students should spend on homework increases as they move up the year groups and is described in the document linked below.
All homework will be marked, monitored or checked and acknowledged within a fortnight of it being submitted. Teachers use a variety of forms of marking depending upon the activity and learning need. Forms of marking used at Nower Hill include:
- Formative teacher marking in which the teacher identifies exactly what the student has done well, what they have been less successful in doing and an indication of how improvements can be made.
- Self and/or peer marking in which students are guided in marking their own or others work using success criteria and mark schemes, noting positive aspects and areas for development.
- Oral feedback in which teachers will speak to students about their work and give them formative feedback verbally.
Teachers use all types of marking to inform planning so that common areas of difficulty are addressed and intervention is put in place where appropriate. Homework tasks completed to an exceptional standard will be awarded achievement points.
Please find linked below the details of work, by subject, that will be formatively marked by teachers during this academic year and where this work can be found if it is not in the book students take home.
You can support us and your child with their homework in the following ways:
- Talking to your child about the homework they have been set each week.
- Ensure they have a quiet space to complete their homework away from phones, music and other distractions.
- Checking their homework diary to ensure they have completed all the work set.
- Checking that the work has been completed to a good standard.
- Contact the School if your child is telling you they have no homework and none is recorded in their diary.
If you have any concerns about homework, please use the e-mail address below to contact the school.